The Blackjack is a club like item used to knock out civilians or hostiles, unharmed. It is a reusable weapon which means that it never loses power, and that it cannot be dropped or lost.
Cost: None, always with Garrett
- Thief: The Dark Project/Thief Gold - always, except:
- Thief II: The Metal Age - always
- Thief: Deadly Shadows - always, except temporarily in Pavelock Prison
Attack: 1 point of damage
Stealth Bonus: Knockout
- One hit will knock out most unaware targets (exception: the undead).
- The hit must be executed from behind (Only TDS)
- Innocents can be knocked out even when alerted (except in TDS).
- Hitting alerted armed targets will do nothing but inflict a minuscule damage.
Useless for hand-to-hand combat since it causes little damage, the Blackjack's strength comes from his ability to knock out opponents without making too much noise and without killing them.
Unlike the Sword or Bow it will not make the player more visible when drawn. However, this weapon is useless against someone wearing a certain kind of helmet, in this case it will only alert and hurt the target.
A real blackjack is usually a relatively soft, flexible leather tube filled with lead shot, designed specifically for reduced lethality by delivering a heavy, but distributed, concussive blow. Though the model is relatively low-detail, the blackjack in Thief 1/2/Gold does resemble this. The blackjack in Deadly Shadows, however, more closely resembles a studded cudgel, a decidedly more lethal weapon capable of cracking skulls due to its hardness and small contact points.