|“||Looks like I have something useful to learn from a seminary for a change.||”|
Eavesdropping is the fifth mission in Thief II: The Metal Age. After receiving a tip from the Keepers, Garrett sneaks into the Eastport Mechanist Seminary to eavesdrop on a secret meeting regarding the people who hired Sheriff Truart to kill him.
Keeper Artemus invites Garrett to listen to a prophecy at the Keeper Library, but Garrett shows little interest. Before Garrett leaves, Artemus gives him a letter which reads, '...if you seek the private knowledge of the Sheriff, go to the Eastport Mechanist seminary tomorrow night. With stealthy discretion, overhear what you may: a certain very timely meeting...' The Mechanist's church has two open towers and some back doors, which can be helpful for getting in. The catacombs below the church can be another way in, though it may be undesirable to tread where the dead sleep. The meeting will most likely take place in some sort of conference hall. All he needs to do is to get close enough to listen at the door.
- The Keeper's tips are your best lead...so you'd better be at the door to overhear the Sheriff's conversation. It should start when the church bells toll midnight. You'll need to stay close to the door to ensure you hear every word.
- Once you're done, get back out by heading to the front gate.
- The Mechanist seminary was once a Hammerite cathedral, so there's bound to be plenty of trinkets lying about:
- steal at least 800 in loot (Normal)
- steal at least 1000 in loot (Hard)
- steal at least 1200 in loot (Expert)
- Killing is the mark of an amateur. Don't kill any innocent bystanders. (Hard)
- Killing is the mark of an amateur. Don't kill anyone. (Expert)
- Find the deposit box key and make an impression of it in wax.
- Take the wax key impression with you. You can make a copy later, after you leave the seminary.
- Bring the original key back to the place you found it so the Mechanists don't realize you've stolen it.
- 35 Broadhead Arrows (10 on Expert)
- 15 Water Arrows
- 10 Moss Arrows
- 3 Rope Arrows
- 1 Healing Potion
- 1 Invisibility Potion (none on Hard and Expert)
- 2 Scouting Orbs
- 5 Flares
- 25 Broadhead Arrows
- 15 Water Arrows
- 10 Moss Arrows
- 4 Noisemaker Arrows
- 3 Healing Potions
- 3 Speed Potions
- 1 Invisibility Potion
- 4 Flash Bombs
- 15 Flares
Characters Present in the MissionEdit
|Mechanist Mace Guard||9||9||9|
|Mechanist Crossbow Guard||3||3||4||Two more on the second floor on Hard.|
|Masked Servant||3||3||3||Two of which are trapped.|
|Worker Bot||1||1||1||In the workshop.|
Except for the two more Mechanist Archers in the seminary on Expert and one more Haunt in the catacombs on Hard and Expert, there are no changes made from different settings.
- Normal/Hard/Expert: 1429 Gold + 250 Gems + 440 Goods = 2119 Total Loot
Total Secrets: 1
Location: East Courtyard
Claiming: In the room with the Masked Servants and dead people, there is a fake floor, moved by a switch next to the east door of the room. Once moved it opens a pit with some bodies in it.
Loot: A small Gold Ring worth 125 loot.
The game is programmed so that each playthrough/restart randomizes the location of the safety-deposit box key. The specific location is stated by Karras after Sheriff Truart leaves. There are 14 possible key locations, some of which are listed below:
- Downstairs Guard Barracks
- Downstairs Acolyte Quarters
- Chapel, West Storage Room
- Chapel, pulpit
- Chapel, 2nd Floor, Southern Room
- Storage Shed (2nd floor)
- North Catacombs
- West Tower, 3rd Floor
- East Tower, 3rd Floor
The key may be found in any of locations even before eavesdropping on the meeting. However, they will be unlabeled and insignificant until the meeting concludes.
- If you can sneak into the tower facing the mission start point where the female mechanists keep watch, and hide in the shadows without being spotted by them or the wandering guard, after a while one of them will start singing or reciting Mechanist scripture. There are other locations in the game where this can be heard, but this is one of the better locations to listen without being interrupted.