The Puppets are the undead remains of inmates from the Shalebridge Cradle's days as an insane asylum. Puppets function similar to Zombies, but are faster and quieter. They cannot be killed directly by means other than holy water, explosives, or flashbombs, though a backstab can disable one until Garrett draws too close to it.
Clad in white straitjackets, with wire cages covering their heads and hands, they are normally near-silent (save for some faint hissing noises and the occasional sound of teeth grinding), their presence primarily revealed by the flickering of nearby electric lights as they approach. Should they detect prey, they quickly scream and rush to attack, flailing with their caged hands. Like the common zombie, the Puppet can lie dormant, only to rise up and attack should an opponent come within a few feet.
There are no more than nine Puppets (one for each patient) and all reside only in the Inner Cradle. Out of the nine, one lies in its cell, and another is digging through a pile of refuse. The rest of the puppets are either patrolling or in a dormant state.
Getting caught under a moving Elevator counts as an instant kill, as does falling down two stories. A well placed oil slick can permanently disable a Puppet, breaking his/her neck on a set of stairs.
- Backstab – puts into dormant state
- Broadhead Arrow - it takes 8 to put them into dormant state
- Fire Arrow – it takes 1-2 arrows on unaware Patient or 3 for an alerted one
- Mines – it takes 1 for unaware (or yellow alert) Puppet or 2 for alerted one
- Flash Bomb – 2 if used correctly (first in front of them and second at their feet) or 3 otherwise
- Holy Water – 1 flask is enough