It was created as a safeguard by the Ancient Keepers who foresaw (and in their writings recorded) the strong likelihood of the future Keepers' imbalance. On various significant points in the City monuments were erected, with slots for each of the Sentients. Indeed, the lines of the Final Glyph followed the layout of the City's streets.
The Keepers, when creating The Sentients, put in a safeguard that would prevent them from from being activated too early, by making them Sentient. In the Writings of Albrech, it is stated that each Sentient was made so by a sacrifice, possibly by blood or even mortality.
The Final Glyph could only be activated by The One True Keeper, and initiated by the will of The Eye. It required the placement of all five Sentients in the associated landmarks:
- The Heart with the Bradshaw Monument in Auldale.
- The Crown with the base of the Clocktower in Stonemarket.
- The Chalice with the Cataclysm Memorial pedestal in Fort Ironwood.
- The Paw with the First Landing Marker in the Docks.
- The Eye with the South Quarter Fountain, after placing the others.
The Final Glyph erased all Glyph magic, and caused the prophecies and books to unwrite themselves. The effects upon the Keepers were devastating. The Keeper Compound was revealed to all and sundry. Though the Keepers themselves were not destroyed, the Order was rendered powerless due to their heavy reliance upon glyphs. In the last cutscene, it is revealed that Garrett has finally accepted his role as the One True Keeper, therefore confirming the existence of at least one.
At the conclusion of Deadly Shadows, the Chalice and Paw were returned from where Garrett had stolen them. It is unknown if Garrett had done this, or they had moved themselves in the same manner of The Eye.
- Thief: Deadly Shadows, the game in which the plot is focused on the struggle to bring Balance to the corrupted Keeper Order through activation or destruction of the Final Glyph.
- Storyline, Garrett's story and a detailed account of his adventures.