A timeline of major events in Thief. Minor events are discussed on the Storyline page.
Ancient HistoryEditAt an unknown period of time, The Trickster leads man and beast in the ways of nature and chaos. The Master Builder, however, leads man in the ways of tools and order. At some point, the Builder and the Trickster clash, with the Trickster defeated. 
- Emperor Va-Taraq of Karath-din dies.
- Va-Toran is crowned emperor - seals colosseum for one year and one day in mourning.
Destruction of Precursor civilization; The Extinction/CataclysmEdit
- Karath-din is swallowed up by the earth.
Destruction of Kurshok civilization; The Great FallEdit
- The Trickster casts out the Kurshok. They have not seen the surface since, and eventually, cease to believe it exists entirely.
The Hag begins to collect glyph powers, The Ancient Keepers create the Sentient safeguards.
- The Hammerites find The Eye and bring it to the Hammerite Cathedral in Old Quarter.
- The Eye exhibits strange behavior, moving to different locations within the cathedral when no one is looking.
- The Eye begins resurrecting the dead, who begin attacking everyone and everything living.
- The City Council hurriedly constructs a wall to contain the zombies.
- The Keepers seal the cathedral using ancient elemental wards. One is kept by the Hammerites, another is sealed in Karath-din, another is enshrined in ancient caverns, and the last is kept with the mages of the Hand Brotherhood.
- The Hag murders Lauryl and takes her skin. The Shalebridge Cradle catches fire (the Cradle Incident).
- Interpreter Diocen retires his position, and Caduca takes his place.
- Garrett joins the Keepers around the age of 10, and undergoes Keeper training.
- Garrett, in his twenties, decides to use his skill for other means, leaves the Keepers to begin his life of crime.
- The Hag, using the name 'Gamall' and using Lauryl's form, is discovered by the Keepers, and begins translating.
Thief: The Dark Project events (the first age)
- Garrett is hired to collect The Eye for Constantine. Garrett discovers the location of the Eye and the Elemental Wards. He collects the talismans and releases the Eye, which he then unwittingly delivers into the hands of the Trickster.
- Garrett loses one of his eyes to the Trickster, who takes it for his ritual.
- After rescuing the Hammerites, they give Garrett a Fake Eye to destroy The Trickster.
- An idealistic Hammerite named Karras gives Garrett a Mechanical Eye.
The Dark Project Ends
- Karras founds the Mechanist Order and begins his rise to power.
- Truart takes control of the City Watch.
- The Hammerites begin to lose influence.
- Gaining the trust of the Watch, the Nobility, and businessmen alike, the Mechanists begin a large grab for power, despite being a very new splinter group.
Year ~xx35-36EditThief II: The Metal Age events (the second age)
- The Watch begins rounding up all criminal elements for the Servant project.
- Garrett inadvertently walks into a trifecta of the City Watch, his old enemy Viktoria, and the Keeper Prophecy.
- Garrett and Viktoria work together to thwart Karras's plans to destroy all biological life in The City, and end up killing him in the process. Viktoria sacrifices herself at Soulforge Cathedral.
The Metal Age Ends
- After the death of Karras, the Mechanists quickly fall from power.
- The City Watch, Nobility and businesses quickly drop most or all ties to the Mechanists.
- Surviving Mechanists are put on trial.
Thief: Deadly Shadows events (the third age)
- The Hammerites slowly return to power after the fall of the Mechanists.
- Garrett is accused of murder, and is hunted by the Keepers.
- The Hag disguised as an old woman attacks Garrett, leading to the aid of Inspector Drept.
- The Hag returns to her true form when Garrett frees Lauryl's soul from the Cradle. The Hag goes on a rampage through the Keeper Compound.
- Aided by the Keepers and Drept, Garrett defeats the Hag.
The Dark AgeEdit
- After the Hag's capture, all prophecy, every glyph, and every bit of Keeper magic is destroyed. All books are empty, and building appear in the city out of nowhere.
- Garrett leads the remaining Keepers.
- Garrett catches a pick-pocket, akin to how the Keepers found Garrett. 
- ↑ TG Sound Folder: Hammer1 - HM1C0352 (the defeated adversary)
- ↑ M9SCHOLR
- ↑ M9VATORN
- ↑ M9MONEY
- ↑ TG B09
- ↑ DUNhistory
- ↑ DUNnewhome
- ↑ M11EYE
- ↑ TG B07
- ↑ M11BCKGD
- ↑ M7WALL
- ↑ M7EVIL
- ↑ M7MAPRM
- ↑ Diocen Letters
- ↑ TG B01
- ↑ The Matter of Garrett
- ↑ TG B02
- ↑ M2LEDGE
- ↑ TG CS06
- ↑ TG CS11
- ↑ TG CS11
- ↑ TG B14
- ↑ T2 Sound Folder: Karras - kar1602A
- ↑ Compiled Lexicography, Volume IV: Religion
- ↑ TDS gamalls trap
- ↑ TDS drepts tale
- ↑ TDS gamall revealed
- ↑ TDS gamalls treachery
- ↑ TDS final cutscene
- ↑ TDS final cutscene
- ↑ TG B01